Fish and Seafood
Fish and seafood are common foods in many cultures around the world, due to their nutrient richness and unique flavor. Including these ingredients from the seas and oceans in your diet is synonymous with adding essential nutrients to your diet. A healthy and balanced diet is the key to protecting your body from any diseases, and seafood products are a great aid. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends consuming them in proportions of 12 kilograms annually per person.
Fish are classified as vertebrates and can be found in almost all types of aquatic environments, from rivers and lakes to deep oceans. They are a valuable source of protein and other important nutrients including omega-3, vitamins and minerals. There are over 32,000 known fish species, varying in size and shape. Fish can be prepared in many different ways, including cooked, grilled, baked or fried. They can also be eaten raw, as in the famous sushi and sashimi.
Seafood is characterized as edible marine organisms such as mollusks and crustaceans. Some examples include shellfish such as shrimp, lobsters, mussels and oysters. They are rich in protein and other essential nutrients and are generally prepared in different ways such as cooked, fried, grilled or raw. Seafood is widely consumed around the world and is often valued for its delicacy and unique flavor.
Benefits of consumption
- High in protein: Seafood is a great source of high-quality protein.
- Rich in omega-3: A great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for the proper functioning of the heart and brain.
- Rich in minerals: Including iron, zinc, and iodine.
- Rich in Vitamin B12: A good source of Vitamin B12, important for blood health.
- Low in saturated fat: Fish and seafood have less saturated fat than red meat, which is healthy for the heart.
- Low in cholesterol: Consuming this type of food is a great option for people who are concerned about cholesterol.
- Rich in Selenium: Selenium is a mineral with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This can help prevent heart disease and cancer.
Fishing for seafood and fish is an important industry in many coastal communities. However, it’s important to ensure that this activity is sustainable to avoid overfishing and protect fish and other marine populations.
When choosing fish and seafood for consumption, it’s important to consider the origin and fishing or aquaculture practices. Wild caught fish and seafood sustainably harvested are a healthy and environmentally responsible choice. At Odyssey, in addition to quality, we guarantee that all foods comply with sustainable activity standards.
Fish and seafood at Odyssey
In conclusion, fish and seafood are a crucial source of nutrients for the human diet. They can reduce the risk of heart disease and improve mental health. However, it’s important to choose reliable sources, follow consumption recommendations, and take into account environmental and food safety issues.
In this sense, at Odyssey you can find a complete variety of fish and seafood. This way you can include this type of food in your diet. The quality of these products is guaranteed to offer you the best.
To always be up to date with our news, follow us on our blog and on our social networks Facebook and Instagram.